September 11, 2006

Uncle Chips Sells Out !

Uncle Chips Sells Out : Lays chips, has bought out Uncle Chips.
It is indeed a sad day for us all.



…That's one small step for PepsiCo and one big-ass retrograde step for Uncle Chips.

1:

I can imagine how the events must have played out.
Some Yankee sitting in PepsiCo's offices in Atlanta must have picked up the phone and said, "ssup homie dogg, gemme the number of Mr. Uncle. I just found out that my wife is blowing the neighbour and my therapist says I should let out mah feelin's by takin' over another dude's company".



2:
But where does that leave Us? Don't our sentiments matter?

Pamela Anderson couldn't see her feet for different reasons. But here, in India, for us, it was Uncle Chips. I take one look at my huge tummy and get this warm fuzzy feeling, knowing fully well that Uncle Chips is responsible for each for those 52423668557 Billion molecules of saturated fat. That's right !! An Indian chip.

Where is the Hindu right-wing when you need them the most?
Where are all the Indian products?
I mean what's next in line?

Today:
Doodh si safedi,
Nirma se aaye
Sabki pasand Nirmaaaaa…
Washing Powder Nirma .. Nirma !!!

Tomorrow, we got Britney Spears endorsing Nirma in push up's:
Romp in the hay – all night – all nii-iight
Nirma is Just plain Right !! – plain rii-ight
Cos there ain't nothin' better…
PPS. Join our war on terror


3:
Wherever I look now-a-days:Tide, Surf, Pepsodent, Harpic, Lux, Bata, Timex– All foreign brands.(though I don't feel bad about using Harpic – comes in handy cleaning shitpots).

But then, this is globalization. Unsuspecting foreigners trying to get their cable TV to work dial a local number and get connected, to an Indian sitting in Pune, halfway across the world.
And, and unsuspecting housewife buying the new Tide detergent, only to send a part of the profits halfway around the world.

Peace.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe... True true.
Though i confess, i didnt notice it when i had my last uncle chips - but sad yes.
remember coke taking over thumbs up

Cynical Consultant said...

Another one...
Gillette taking over 7'0Clock razors...
& I thought the blade wasn't sharp enough anymore.

..."Bole Mere Lips, I love Uncle Chips" : Shantanu Moitra

Unknown said...

do they still sell chips under the uncle chips brand name?

Anonymous said...

Hey,
would you be any chance have some more information about how Lays took over Uncle Chipps and it just faded out of the Indian market?
That's coz I'm doing a brand building project and i can't seem to find any info online.
i'd really appreciate it,if you could get back to me on - cankeeta@hotmail.com
P.S: About your blog,loved th humor!Keep it rolling! :P

Unknown said...

omg!I crave for Uncle Chips as i write to you and I could personally go kick some ass at Pepsico which is a mile from where i stay but its been a little over 730 days since u posted this blog and I am guessing the pepsi co dude's wife blew the neighbor around the same time..so its been a while! not worth the effort :D.. i have a few friends from bombay who returned to ATL this week without fulfilling my soul request of UNCLE CHIPS! I am extremely upset they couldn't find any. If anyone knows where to get em'..or better..knows folks coming to pardes with em'..let know! :)

Cynical Consultant said...

@ Preiya,
I totally get what you mean. But luckily, Uncle chipps still tastes much like what it did when I was a kid.

Either way...it completely blows the pants of Lays and cheap haldiram knockoffs.

(Haldirams should have stuck to bhujjiya and other maadu food, but thats a different story altogether)

I may be coming to Atlanta in May. Cousins etc stay there. SO do you still want your uncle chipps?!

Unknown said...

4 months..hmmm..I'll take it! ;)

sidhanth said...

You have a Great writing style.
The britney spears "support our war on terror" was awesome . :P

Sidhanth

Anonymous said...

Ah... I wander into blog while googling about Uncle Chipps.. and come across more becharas like me who miss the brand... I like in NY, and none of my friends are able to bring me back Uncle Chipps when they visit India, because they never find any in the market... :-( I guess Pepsi Co doesnt bother to market/distribute as much... And I dont like Kurkure... :-(

Anonymous said...

This site is really cool! I found here alot of information that I was looking for. I am really happy to be a part of This site!